The College Start Program adds value to the local Long Beach Community by building the life skills of our students. Specifically, College Start uses a group mentoring model focused on building resiliency, setting goals and solving transferrable problems for participants, all elements that contribute to academic reinvigoration. This evidence-based program is offered as a classroom curriculum, in collaboration with other partner organizations and the Long Beach Unified School District. In 2016, College Start served over 320 students.
College Start at a glance:
- Personal and academic development in our multi-week college-readiness classroom sessions
- Attend evidenced-based “Why Try?” workshop
- Gain new life skills including resiliency, problem-solving, college/ career exploration & goal-setting to your toolkit
- Supportive academic assistance available for students looking to improve their grades
- Group mentoring with like minded individuals just like you
- Exciting activities and weekly prize opportunities
- Cost: Free for students!
- Currently enrolled in 7th-10th grade
- GPA: No GPA requirement
- Determination to succeed!