MAKE A DIFFERENCE THROUGH MENTORING
Mentoring provides our youth with the support needed to reach their full potential. As a prerequisite to joining our program, our students must express interest in going to college. Unfortunately these same students are low resourced and lack the academic guidance to do so.
Think back to your childhood. Did you know how to study for a test or make plans for college? Do you remember the SAT or applying for Financial Aid? Simple things that seem easy or straightforward to you now are a mystery to our students.
With the support of OJS, our mentors provide their mentees with an experienced friend who is there to help in any number of situations with the ultimate goal of taking them from “good to GREAT”.
Being a mentor to a young person is one of the kindest and most rewarding things an adult can do. It is a special opportunity to share your knowledge and experience as well as watch your student grow and develop into a successful adult. Donating your time is the highest form of charitable giving.
Our mentors are community volunteers, over the age of 24 with a college degree. OJS students are individually matched with a volunteer of the same gender for a long-term relationship of guidance (1-5 years) and coaching, leading to eventual college entrance. Our mentors spend four to six hours a month with their mentee. These required hours are satisfied by attending OJS events (view our calendar of events here), phone and/or communicating via text and email. This mentorship provides our young people with guidance and assistance to help them achieve their educational, social and personal goals.
It’s easy to become a mentor! The following information outlines the mentor admission process:
- Complete and submit the application to OJS (click here), including three character references with phone numbers. Upon submission of your application, Operation Jump Start staff member will call you to schedule a mentor interview.
- At your interview, the following will be required:
- Copy of Driver’s License
- Copy of current auto insurance
- Following the mentor interview, you will need to fulfill the mentor requirements which are:
- Current DMV report
- TB test
- Fingerprinting and background check
- Attend our mentor training class
As soon as these requirements are satisfied, you are matched with your student!